It’s September 30; Good Morning Union

“God is our refuge and strength, and ever present help in trouble.” Psalm 46

Often called “Luther’s Psalm,” he used to sing it when he was having a difficult day, or in his case some difficult years! He paraphrased it and it became a powerful hymn, “A Mighty Fortress is my God.” Ellen Whites says that after a notable victory in the days of Jehosophat the Israelites sang this hymn. So what’s in the hymn for me this morning?

I can summarize its effect by sharing the first two and the last two verses of the song:

1. God WILL take care of me in the tough times
2. I don’t have to panic
10. Instead I need to “be still;” that’s the best way to know that God is God and I am not
11. He IS and will continue to be with me

What is does NOT say is that He will keep me FROM the tough times; it says He will take care of me IN the tough times!
What is does NOT say is that I have to worry about all the solutions; it says I can rest in Him.
What it does NOT say is that I have to solve all the problems in life; it says if I will stop long enough to listen I can discover Who really is in charge of life.
What it does NOT say is that I have to “go it alone;” it says He IS with me.

No wonder Martin Luther liked this song so much. I do too!

Have a great day discovering the reality of God’s care,
Pastor Rich

Quote for the day: “In this life we cannot always do great things. But we can do small things with great love.” Mother Teresa

PS “Real Talk” with Tobias Watson and friends. Join them @ 8pm in the Rees Hall rec room for an hour of open talk about real issues facing young adults today. Guys have to check in at the front desk and be escorted down!!