It’s February 19; Good Morning Union

“Teach me your way, O Lord, and I will walk in your truth; give me an undivided heart, that I may honor your name.” Psalm 86:11

A theme that I continue to see cropping up in the harvest of messages in God’s word is that of having an “undivided heart.” There seems to be a close correlation between the intentionality of my focus and my ability to have clarity in God’s ways. Sin caused confusion from the very moment Adam and Eve ate the fruit. Before they “communed with God in the cool of the evening,” and after they “hid from His presence.” God’s plan never changed; He still wanted, and still wants today, to be one with them and with me.

But it’s so easy to get distracted, even by good things, to the point where I make my decisions, at worst based on worldly or secular distractions, and at best by my personal stressed priorities for what I think is necessary for survival through life’s pressures. It can get very confusing and that confusion mounts each time I choose contrary to the clarity of God’s will. Sin not only separates, it confuses.

God’s support system this morning came through my verse. Two parts of His plan to keep me focused on Him SO THAT He can focus on reconnecting with me rather than having to continue helping me “learn from my mistakes.”

1. I need HIM to teach me SO THAT I know I am learning HIS ways and not “the ways of the world,” or even my ways. I still believe He knows what’s best because He is the one who created me and saved me. He has made a total investment in me so it only seems logical that He would be the one from whom I would seek direction. The evidence that I really believe that is my commitment to Him that I will listen and respond! “Teach me your way, O Lord, and I will walk in your truth.”

2. I need Him to help me focus SO THAT I don’t get distracted. “Give me an undivided heart, that I may honor your name.” An “undivided heart” is the ideal that I ask for, which will be evident in my life when it is Him that I give honor to (not myself or anyone else) SO THAT my purpose in this life is clear and I don’t get confused and think it’s all about me.

So Lord, my prayer today is two-fold: Teach me YOUR ways and give me an undivided heart, because I want to walk in YOUR truth and honor YOUR name today.

Have a great day finding focus in the Father,
Pastor Rich

Quote for the day: “Whoever said that nothing rhymes with orange clearly doesn’t know the correct pronunciation of nothing.” 

PS Don’t forget to attend the ASB Convocation @ 10:30 today to hear the speeches and then vote for your ASB officers for next year.

PPS 9 O’Clock night (@ 9pm) in the Ortner Lobby upstairs join your peers as they share God’s word and His work in their lives.