It’s February 6; Good Morning Union

Writing from home again!! 

“One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek.” Psalm 27:4

David has it narrowed down to one thing- talk about singleness of purpose- a quality that many claim is the means of success even in the secular world! So what’s the “one thing?”

“that I may dwell in the house of the Lord.” That’s all he wants; not to visit occasionally the house of the Lord, or even to come religiously to the house of the Lord—but to DWELL in the house of the Lord. That’s the one thing David wants, to be continually with his God.

And while he is there there are two things he plans to do:
1. “to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord, and
2. to seek Him in His temple”

My priority is to be always in His presence. My purpose while there is to focus intently on His positive qualities, and to pursue Him where He is until I find Him. This was a good reminder to me this morning as I anticipate worshipping and the reason I go to church. Sometimes I get confused and think church is about what it can give me. THAT is one of the key reasons I believe many quit going—it’s not giving them what they want or think they need. Maybe church is not what it can give me, but what I can give it! I want to go to church to find God and to focus on Him and not get distracted with what it can give me. I want to go to church to I can assist others in helping them find God. I want to go to church because it is where He says He can be found.

And the next verse says that if those are my priorities, then “He will keep me safe,” right there where I found Him. The problem in life so often is that I try and get Him to come to me on my terms. David learned, and I hope I continue to do the same, that to find real safety in Him I need to go to where HE is. He already sought me “while I was yet a sinner;” now it’s my turn to seek HIM.

Have a great day seeing the blessings of actively seeking God, on HIS turf,
Pastor Rich

Quote for the day: “It’s not a parent’s responsibility to have godly children. It’s a parent’s responsibility to make sure their children have godly parents.”

PS Hour of Power tonight @ 7 in the church with Pastor Ron

PPS Tonight @ 8 join Rayshaun and friends for “Laboring Youth for Christ,” a time of Bible study and prayer. This week at Erin Schlenker’s home the address is 4931 Calvert St. Everyone is welcome.

PPPS This will be the last GMU until next Monday, after winter break is over and we are all back together again. Have a nice break.