It’s January 29; Good Morning Union

“But you are a forgiving God, gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love.” Nehemiah 9:17

The books of Ezra and Nehemiah really should be at the end of the Old Testament if one was trying to put them in chronological order. They were written about and by people who were returning from the 70 years of captivity in Babylon when they were re-establishing themselves back home again. My text for today is really a chapter for today. I want to encourage you to read Nehemiah 9. It’s quite a prayer about admitting what I am really like and what God is really like. I mess up; God hangs in there. That’s my summary of the prayer. But the details of it make a really good read!

I am described, by my application of the prayer personally, as potentially (choose the ones that fit):
1. arrogant
2. stiff-necked
3. disobedient
4. refusing to listen
5. failing to remember
6. rebellious
7. blasphemous
8. taking advantage of God’s goodness
9. then repeatedly turning my back on Him
10. then refusing again to follow His law

When trouble came, usually as a direct result of the above, they “Cried out!” And HERE is my verse for today! It concludes with “Therefore you did not desert them.” He did let them suffer the consequences of their sins sometimes so they would hopefully learn their lesson. And when they did He delivered them. He was always there, being a good God and parent; teaching lessons, sometimes having to be learned the hard way, but NEVER deserting them.

And I believe it’s the same for me today. He’s a parent and He’s a teacher; but He’s mostly a loving God, wanting the best for us and doing whatever it takes so He can save us to live with Him forever. Whatever it takes, He’s willing to do (see the gospel story, and read John 3:16!) How smart it would be of me to look at those 10 destructive behaviors listed above and do the opposite!

Have a great day learning and responding to God’s best ways,
Pastor Rich

Yesterday we went to Wartburg Castle and saw where Luther was “held captive” for his own good for 10 months and the room where he spent that time translating the Greek New Testament into the common German of the people. Then we went on to see the home of Bach where we had a concert on the instruments of his day, and on to a 16th century walled city called Rothenburg where we actually got to walk on the walls! Today to see Neuschwanstein Castle (think Disneyland!) and the Dachau Concentration Camp.

Quote for the day: “Jealousy is when you count someone else’s blessings, instead of your own.”

PS Chapel today is really a convocation hosted by the ASB. Watch for signs for location and activity. It will NOT be a chapel service in the church

PPS Christ on Demand @ 9pm in the Ortner Lobby upstairs