It’s January 24; Good Morning Union

“So give your servant a discerning heart… to distinguish between right and wrong.” 1 Kings 3:9

Yesterday was David’s command to his son Solomon. Today is Solomon’s response. If I want to “be a man,” I KNOW I need God’s help. There is just too much out there to distract me in my priorities. Solomon apparently agreed with me (or I guess I agreed with him because he came first!) This was his prayer, and this is my prayer. Basically, help me see the difference between what is right and what is wrong; what is good and what is bad; what is best and what is not. Give me a discerning heart in the battle with Satan’s distractions.

What is most interesting about this text is that, “the Lord was pleased that Solomon had asked for this.” And in response God said, “I’ll not only give you a wise and discerning heart, I’ll also give you what you have not asked for- both riches and honor!” How do you like that for a good deal!? And if that’s not enough, “AND if you walk in my ways and obey my statutes and commands, I’ll also give you long life!”

My prayers seem so—trite—so insignificant – so selfish sometimes. If I simply ask God to give me a discerning heart to know right from wrong, and then the strength to follow what I find, He will in turn give me NOT ONLY the discerning heart, but riches, honor and a long life! Sounds like a pretty good deal to me- what do you think?

Have a great day praying for discernment- and then listening,
Pastor Rich

Today we start on our Reformation tour.

Quote for the day: “Do we ‘come, consume and critique’ or do we “commit- no reserves, no retreat and no regret?” Elliot Smith

PS 9 O’Clock in Rees Hall chapel- come sing and fellowship for 30 minutes.