It’s April 11; Good Morning Union

WDJS # 87

“Ask those who heard me. Surely they know what I said.” John 18:21

Jesus has now been arrested and first stood before Annas, the father-in-law of Caiaphas, the high priest. The religious leaders all bombarded Him with questions and Jesus used two approaches in His own defense:

1. His transparent truthfulness
2. His confidence in His followers

He said, “I have always spoken openly to the world…. I said nothing in secret.” He had nothing to hide because He had been careful not to hide anything! I wonder how much trouble I get myself into some times because I have not been transparently honest in what I say. A little fudging of the truth (for ONLY good purposes of course!) and now I have to try and remember to whom I have said what so I don’t reveal the inconsistencies of my story! Jesus’ honesty is a reminder to me again this morning of the value of transparent honesty in all that I do and say.

And then He said, “Why question Me? Ask those who heard Me. Surely they know what I have said.” Now the scary part! Jesus lived His life in transparent honesty, and calls me as His first “witness” to give evidence of His truthful consistency. And since His message was always about His desire for “those who have ears” to hear what He said, the evidence of hearing what He said would probably be that what I heard made a difference in my life. The twelve didn’t do too well in the garden at the arrest because after all He had said about His kingdom not being of this world, they still thought it would be and when things didn’t look good they ran! Peter sort of repented and followed Jesus but apparently forgot Jesus’ words that “if you confess Me before others I will confess you before My Father,” and he denied Him three times. They listened but they didn’t hear because it didn’t change their lives very much! (Don’t worry- they got it later—and changed the world at Pentecost!!)

But I had to ask myself this morning. I’m listening to what He says, but am I hearing it? If so, is it changing my life? When Jesus calls me to be His witness what will I reveal about the transparent truth that is not only what He says but what He is? Is His truth transforming my life? That’s what I want- how about you?

Have a great day being transformed by the truth of the Savior,
Pastor Rich

Quote for the Day- “People will forget what you said; People will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel.”

PS Peace Week 2012- FORGIVENESS Activity With film The Fog of War Amphitheatre 5:16 p.m.

PPS Prayer meeting @ 7 in the church with Pastor Ron Halvorsen Jr. Heritage Room in the basement of the church.

PPPS “Laboring Youth for Christ” @ 8 in the Student Center.